03 October 2010

Ever try to fix a computer?

Start with a hammer.
That's a joke.
I can hear Henny Youngman now: Take my motherboard! Please! Dammit!
I'm really not that good at it (the fixing the computer thing) but in this household, I'm the man.
So I stand in, I stand up, I stand up stand up stand up for ... WTE+1!
(EP - I like Bob Marley too)
And there's really only traffic and driving in Winnipeg that cause me to curse more freely than trying to get a driver to download using Dell's new "Driver Download Manager," which you need to download, then install (after which it tells you you have nothing on its list of things to do) so you go back to the website and make a list, and then open your already installed Driver Download Manager thinking it'll just find that list, because the damn thing supposed to find thing, because it is so damn fast after all, just sitting there making your life and mine so damn efficient and easy and click-on-able. But it doesn't. So you try something else, and something else, and something else, and then, you know what? You settle for second best. Maybe even third best. The fact that I'm typing this write now is a victory. It's the victory I'm going to take. The thing works. It's not perfect. It doesn't want to eject the cd that's in the drive. It doesn't even want to acknowledge that the cddvd drive exists on its person, but right now the fact that I can type this little love-missive for all the E+1'n world to see is victory enough.
This, my friends, is what we're reduced to by these machines of ours. Having been vanquished, we act like we've been conquerers.
So now I have to restart this baby, so that the antivirus program I just downloaded can take effect and so that the problem I haven't solved yet, and likely will just come to accept as a quirk of the machine ... isn't it cute ...
... into the ether I go.

No comments: