12 September 2010

Cutting lines

Some things that are considerably less than an enjoyable use of your time, you do out of a combination of obligation (the greater good) and because you care about, even enjoy, the end result. What would be a reasonable word for these things, or this sentiment? Persevifaction? Satisverance?

Today Chris and I, along with the occasional help of some of the players on the field scrimmaging, cut the lines for the pitch. We used tape measures that weren't long enough, nylon twine what was plenty long enough, corner flags, and my lawn mower, set to its lowest possible mowing height. (Which wasn't really low enough in some places because some over-zealous lawn mower cut the whole field pretty close despite my request for them to wait until we'd cut the lines, and then to not cut it so close. Crap!) We cut the lines for two fields, and by the end of it, almost four hours later, I can't say that I had a great sense of satisfaction. For one, we'll have to go back and spray paint the lines, because the mowing just isn't clear enough. For two, it was a tedious way to spend a Sunday afternoon, especially after a pretty busy Saturday. I needed the day off, but I was cutting lines. For the greater good, you understand. But I feel petty and restless. Get over it, you say? Yeah, probably. That's good advice. Still, four hours is four hours. I get bitter when I don't get enough time to do the things that really matter to me.

O Lord, save me from my satisverance!

No comments: