06 September 2010

Tough riding for great pizza

On September 3rd (Friday) I rode from the friends' cabin we were renting (right on Lake Winnipeg), which was windswept and wave lusty most of the weekend,















just North of Camp Morton, into that gale of a North wind (it must have been 35-40 kph) to 10 ks North of Riverton. The destination had been Hecla village, but 40 ks into that relentless wind, down a straight highway, was enough. When Margruite and the girls pulled up alongside me, I said uncle. I put the bike on the rack, got into the car, and we drove on to sightsee.


There was the smoked Goldeye; I don't think Margruite can pass this delicacy in a store without buying it - and sharing it with her daughters. (If I ever have trouble with my love life, you know, the kind about which you hear me complaining - aloud - then remind me to find some smoked Goldeye and rub it all over my body as some sort of pheromonal call for help - Lord knows I can't eat the stuff.) 


There was the view from the lighthouse.


   












There was the eponysterical sailboat.





















There was bench to lie on and sleep.

Having eaten with our eyes, we set out to eat with our mouths. We'd heard about a place called Integrity Foods, just North of Riverton. 















These folks, on a six acre farm, bake bread, bagels, etc with Spelt flour (an ancient grain). They bake in a wood-fired brick bake-oven and supply Organza and other specialty shops and restaurants with organic baked products. 


























































During the summer (from May to the long weekend in Sept) they also bake (in the wood-fired oven) and serve some of the best pizza around (the bison mushroom was incredible!) - and they only do this on Friday and Saturday nights.  
















While we were there (they only serve the pizza from 5 to 9) there were always at least 25 people on the yard. People would eat on the yard at the tables provided, or take it home. There were locals there, and people out from Winnipeg. You'll have to wait until next year to try this, but I highly recommend it!

So if the pizza is great, is a tough ride worth it? Yes. Yes it is.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Delicious! The pizza I should say.

I haven't read your blog in a while and really enjoyed all the posts and the pictures.

The pants will be missed...very practical and uber stylish!