09 January 2012

Can a holiday be too long?

Yes. Yes it can. Here's what it sounded like in the hallowed hallways of my workplace today:

Conversation 1
I'm in the staffroom preparing coffee.

Colleague 1: "Have a good holiday?"

Me: "Yes. It was very good, but maybe getting just a bit too long."

C1: "Really? It could have been longer for me. It felt like I was just getting going."

Me: "Not for me really. I was in the city on Tuesday and then played poker with the boys when we got home (I lost) and when I woke up in the morning I just felt bad. Lethargic. I couldn't figure out what to do."

C1: "Not me really, although I know what you mean."

Me: (with my coffee now poured and ready to go) "Well, I'll see ya later. Have a good one!"


Conversation 2
We're in the hallway outside the office.

Colleague 2: "Good time away?"

Me: "Yes. It was good. All the kids were around and it just felt right. By the end though, I knew something  needed to change."

C2: "Really? Actually, that's true. You do sort of get in each other's hair after a while."

Me: "Yeah, but it wasn't that really. It was more that by the middle of last week I knew that I'd have to get back to work, and that nearly paralyzed me. I actually came here to get started on stuff, just to make today easier." 

C2: "Yeah, that's probably a good idea, but I didn't mind staying away."

Me: (with my hands full and needing to get to first class) "Well, I gotta get to class. Have a good day!"


Conversation 3
In the hallway outside my classroom.

Colleague 3: "How were your holidays?"

Me: "You know, they were good. The kids were home, they're great, you know, and it's so different now that they're all away during their semester, and then they come back. It's like we can really appreciate one another. But once they were gone I kind of lost focus."

C3: "Aw. That's kinda sweet."

Me: "Yeah, I know, but it's ridiculous too. When they're around I can work on my own projects - you know, write, or tinker, or go for a bike ride ..."

C3: "Wasn't the weather great?!"

Me: "Amazing! I rode my bike more this break than I think I ever have before. It was fantastic. But I work better when there's a bit of a hum in the house. You know? Not loud, but there's activity."

C3: "Yeah, I can see that. It's like the work of others inspires you or something."

Me: "I think that's true. Like the vibe each of us creates gets better when we're in a good place with each other!"

C3: "Yeah, that is true. It works that way in my classes - the ones with a few good workers will slowly become the ones with more good workers. Good work is contagious."

Me: "And when you take that work hum away, it's hard to focus again ..."

C3: "And then you've got to think about going back."

Me: "Right. So either make the holidays a bit shorter, or way, way, longer - you know so I can really get into a good rhythm without thinking about having to go back."

The bell rings. Kids appear. 

Me: "Well, have a good one eh?!"

C3: "Yeah, you too."


Ride report
in:      1'C wind 15ks W
out:    3'C wind 10ks W

No comments: