10 January 2012

A long day

Some days, even when you get a lot done, you have to look hard for the rewarding moments. Here's an attempt at a list:

- drama "show-don't-tell" exercise results in an "a-ha moment" for someone working on a script (downside? - there were a lot of empty stares and misdirection that resulted from said exercise) - sometimes you win a little, and lose a lot

- with two weeks remaining in the semester it appears that one student's interest in visual and 3D creation may be turned into an interesting response to a novel or two (downside? - there are only two weeks left in the semester! Why does it have to take this long to find things that work? Longer story: I've found this student wandering about in the art room (across the hall from mine) during my class numerous times. I've too often taken the "you should be in my room" approach, rather than asking whether he'd like to make something in order to show what he's thinking - Duh!)

- during rehearsal the kids try a few different voicings of their parts, enjoy themselves, and realize that even if this isn't how the thing ends up, it's good to try it in many different ways (downside? - there's not much time until we have to have a play ready)

- helped (I hope!) to assuage a parent's concern about a child with significant health issues (IBS plus) that will be travelling on the Europe trip I'm leading - it's worth taking the chance I say, after all I'm married to someone with these sorts of problems I say (downside? - it's hard convincing a parent with the words, "don't worry, it'll be okay" when you're talking about their kid)

Actually, it wasn't such a bad day. Downsides included.


Ride report
in:      0'C wind 15ks W
out:    4'C wind 25ks NW
      

No comments: