09 December 2010

A new ride's a comin'

I've been collecting the pieces of a bike I'm building, out of parts I have, and new and used parts I'm buying. It looks like, by the weekend, I'll have a 700 c cross-commuter: aluminum frame (Scattante XRL cross), steel fork for winter and carbon for summer, straight flat bar, single chain ring up front (42T) and 8 gears (11 to 32 SRAM) at the back, a Deore derailleur with an SRAM MRX gripshift, cantilever brakes (avid shorties), a Mavic CXP 22 rear wheel on a 105 hub, and a Mavic Open Pro front wheel on an Ultegra hub. So it ain't cheap, but it ain't uber expensive either. I intend to use it for all year commuting, and for some cross racing in the Fall. Should be good. At least I'm looking forward to it!

When it's done I'll show ya.

The ride in (on the ol' Fuji modified roadie):    Temp 10'C Wind SSE 20 ks
The ride home:                                               Temp 6'C Wind NW 30 ks
(a pretty good day for a ride!)
  

2 comments:

TK said...

Hey Paul,

Sounds cool - can't wait to see it. My Surly CC is still performing wonderfully. The snowy, frozen trails are a blast!

Tim.

Talitha said...

Pee to the KAY!

It's your ole' buddy Talitha! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU BLOG. This blows my mind in so many ways. I think your blog will become my new procrastination tool during exams. Also, YOU ARE DIRECTING A MUSICAL! I thought that I would never live to see that day. Haha.

In all seriousness, how are you doing? I will be home for Christmas! Are you insanely busy over the holidays? I would love to catch up with you if you are available.

Best,
Talitha