22 December 2010

School's out for Christmas

I almost put an x in there, just for the sake of economy, but I thought better of it.

I started watching The Social Network today, but I'm too tired to finish it. For now I'll say that, at this moment, I'm thinking about centering my review around a comparison of Mark Zuckerberg (at least his fictional manifestation) and Holden Caulfield. This will be rich territory, as both of these young men represent an end game of the American dream. But I'll finish the movie before I write the review.



I enjoyed the last day today. Often it's a throwaway sort of affair, but today felt more real and relaxed and productive. A significant part of that was an after school supper and "party" at our place with a group of student writers. (They write a variety of genres: poetry, prose, anime graphical storytelling.) We've been meeting since the middle of October. It's a great group. They take their work seriously, and they're comfortable with themselves and with each other. The pretension level is off the charts low, for young people artists (is that an indirectly negative thing to say?)! What I mean is, they don't put on airs. They present their work. They stand behind it. They offer great advice to one another. They listen for, and graciously consider, the advice they're given. It's very good.

The ride in:           Temp -10'C Wind NW 15 ks
The ride home:     Temp -11'C Wind NW 10 ks

2 comments:

TK said...

"... advice their given"? As opposed to 'they're'???

CCF?

small locum plumber said...

CCF.
A bit of an over-reaction?
It's an honest mistake. I got it right just a few lines up.
Merry Christmas to you too!