01 December 2010

Twitter?

Why did I do it? A challenge from a colleague to try using it as a medium to communicate more immediately with students. Of course it means that students will need to be tweeting too. Oh my, it all sounds so dumb.

Remember the first time you heard someone use the "word" facebook, as they tried to describe what that thing was. Didn't you think that was the dumbest sounding word you'd ever heard. I did. It wasn't the concept of facebook that made me think stooopid, it was the way the name sounded. A clunky, heavy-handed metaphor. The kind of metaphor a scientist or mathematician might think was "poetic". Because of course he/she'd heard the phrase, "your face is an open book" and she/he thought, well my goodness, what could be more apt as a name for a thingy that puts your face on the web? Anyone with a poetic sense will immediately wince at the bluntness of it. FACEbook. That's just too damn obvious. Too damn "hit me over the head with it" heavy-handed.

And isn't that just the way with the new social media. It's just too damn heavy-handed. Twitter! We're just all a-twitter aren't we? Chirp chirp chirp. Geez! It's so juvenile and clever and bore-itself-into-your-sorry-brain-like-the-acid-blood-of-an-alien obvious.

Anyway, here, verbatim, is my first tweet:

Just lit a fire. Thinking about lifting 1500#s of stone table top onto the base tomorrow pm. Holy Moley it might actually happen!

Which segues me into the excitingness that may well be the long awaited completion of a stone table purchase. All going well we will have pictures of the process and the product, tomorrow by this time.

If you must know, I'm plain old Paul Krahn on twitter. If you want to follow me, you're nuts.

The ride in:            Temp -12'C Wind 20 ks NW
                             (flatted after 3.5 miles and had to run the last 1.5)
The ride home:      Temp -15'C Wind 20 ks NNW


2 comments:

ironyogi said...

Tweet tweet tweet. I haven't tweeted in months. Too much work trying to keep up with all of these cyber mediums. But I wish you good luck... maybe you'll surpass my 4 tweets.

Anonymous said...

The table is finally going to be assembled.....yeah! Your wife must be SOOOOO happy.