30 June 2011

The last one's out the door ... soon

Today, at the ripe age of 46 and a month and a half, my youngest child graduated from high school. Alas. I feel too young to be this old.

Today, at the tender age of 46, my step-mother, nearly twice my age, seems again to be on the verge of a final exit. Alas. I feel too busy to care.

Today, at my age, I look forward to time off, my love and I working on the house and yard and finding ourselves together again without immediate the necessaries of children (not that we still won't have those pleasures (I mean it!)) driving us in to lean on one another - now we'll re-invent what we found first in each other more than 20 years ago. We'll find it or lose it. I won't sugar over the risk. But I believe that what we found in the first place, in the fall of 1986, we still have. We may have to shine it up now and again - rub the sleep from our eyes as we've been lulled by relentlessness of living - and thus realize, rediscover, what is more powerful than infatuation: attachment.

Ride report
in:         14'C wind 25 ks SSE
out:      28'C wind 35 ks SE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...more powerful THAN infatuation?

TK