20 June 2011

A request


Every once in a while a former student (sometimes they've even become friends) will contact me and ask for a list of books to read, because they've found themselves in a rut, and they're hoping for a push. 


Here's a part of a recent request:


"Anyway, I have been less than inspired lately. Well, not just lately, the last few years, I suppose. I could use some inspiration! Do you have any book suggestions for me? Classic literature, poetry, or anything really? Anything to get me thinking."


And here's my response:  


All is well, even though all is busy ... blah blah marks and year-end blah. Still, it's good. No guarantees with this list, but these have all been written within the last century. No poetry here, although a few of them are very poetic.


I'm honoured you'd ask!


Here you go:
Holy The Firm - Annie Dillard (nonfiction)
Pilgrim At Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard (nonfiction)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
The Cement Garden - Ian MacEwan
Atonement - Ian MacEwan
July, July - Tim O'Brien
Small Wonders - Barbara Kingsolver (nonfiction)
The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis - Lydia Davis (great short pieces! - but it's a thick book)
Reading by Lightning - Joan Thomas (she has a new one too)


Hope your leg's all right. I heard from your mom that the fall set you back quite a bit. Really sorry to hear that!


Will you be my Facebook friend too?


For all of the crap that it presents, and for all of my suspicion of it, for this Facebook is worth something. 


Ride report
in:          15'C wind 20 ks SE
out:       17'C wind 25 ks ESE

No comments: