18 August 2010

Beautiful and broken

Today, while relieving myself, I was distracted by this yellow finch.

Why, I must ask myself, am I always peeing when I see these wonderful things? Anyway, this time I managed to get my camera and return and take these pictures. These birds are, next to Orioles, my favourites on the yard. It was cool to get these shots.

















Somehow, after the long ride last Saturday, a spoke-holder on the rear hub of my bike broke. I don't know how, but I think it happened in the car on the way home. We'd packed the bikes in the back of a friend's Jetta wagon in a not-too-tight manner, but perhaps the back wheel was up against the back door when it was closed, I don't know because my friend packed the car. Anyway, as we were driving back there was a loud metallic ping, which we all noticed, but since the car didn't fall apart, we thought nothing of it. When I got home and tried to put my bike back together, and saw this:



I realized then what that sound might have been. I believe that this break is non-repairable. Can you weld an alloy like this? I've found out that since the wheel is more than a year old, there is no warranty on it, but it looks like the company has a "crash-breakage" policy that replaces parts broken as a result of some riding trauma for about half the retail cost. I'm still going to take this wheel apart and see if I can find someone to repair the break. Then I'll re-lace the wheel and use it on a spare frame I've got. It seems ridiculous to just toss something like this away, because it's not cost-effective to repair it.

Anyway, I've been going through a bit of ride withdrawel, so today I rode 28 ks on my fixie (42 front - 16 back), which is quite a different ride than a road bike. I rode this in 49 minutes. Boy do I need a different saddle!

No comments: