21 August 2010

Make mine watermelon, with rye

I am, as they say, "sandwiched" between caring and providing for my own kids, and having to care and provide for some of the needs of my parents. My Dad's 90 and Margaret, my step-mom, is 92. I'm an executor of the estate, and I have power-of-attorney for their financial affairs. So even though they're well-cared-for in their semi-independent care home apartment, there are often small tasks to do. For instance, right now I have to find the original document giving me power-of-attorney, so that I can show one of Dad's financial advisors, so that I can sign some Mutual Fund transfer papers (so the advisor doesn't have to travel into Winnipeg to do it himself). This is not a big deal. I'll probably just have to drive to Winkler to the lawyer's office to get a notarized copy.

But you know, it adds up when Margruite's Dad is hospitalized with an infection and an irregular heartbeat, so you drive out a couple of times in a week to be there too. And then your own kids, who deserve the help just as much (more? what do you think?), need time to talk, or help with moving into the city, or money, etc. You add these things together with your own life needs and ambitions (yes I still have one or two), yadda yadda yadda, and you start to feel like there might not be enough time, energy, and money for you to do what you would like to, what you need to, do.

I did have a great tomato sandwich (open-faced, to spite the metaphor) today for supper: multi-grain rye bread, basil (from the garden) & garlic pesto spread, mayo, tomato (from the garden) slice(s), salt & pepper, cheddar cheese slice. Mmmm! With and Extra Old Stock (Oh Yeah). After two of these (the sandwiches!), I had several slices of watermelon, because just I can't get enough watermelon in the summer. In fact if there's a new religion for the summertime, make mine watermelon. Hey Joe! When can I eat some of yours? (Second religion? Cantaloupe! ... Joe's cantaloupe!)      

2 comments:

ironyogi said...

It's true, a little more time spent with my PauPs would be more than just "nice". But as it seems these days, our paths do not cross so often, and so it goes. No need to feel obligated where obligations aren't due. If you're preoccupied with other ... stuff... shit?... then so be it, GeeVs understands. ...maybe all this ado will breed inspiration for a piece? Although with all the business I can imagine it's hard to gather thoughts and put them into words... sentences... paragraphs when there doesn't seem to be an ounce of PauPs time. All in all, it seems you have time to enjoy some of the smaller things in life (maybe the smaller things are the most beautiful things?) ... succulent summer treats!

small locum plumber said...

Thanks GeeVs! Thank you so much! Hope to see (and talk to) you soon. The succulent treats tonight are fresh tomatoes slices (from the garden) on taco chips! With Extra Old Stock! Yesssss!!!