06 September 2011

It's about time

Some of us had to go back to work. I've also taken a break from this, what shall we call it, endeavour(?). As is my way I feel a little apologetic, but there's also beauty in pauses, absences. There has been much to write about, but I'd fallen out of the energy for it. Now there's nothing like the coercion of employment to return one to other rhythms. So I'll be back on a (more) regular basis.

Here are a few bits of the days gone by:

Bit 1
I've got a few movies to recommend, that I woulda, shoulda, coulda reviewed:
An Education
Source Code
Tokyo Sonata

Bit 2
... and a few books:
The Crying of Lot 49 (Pynchon)
July, July (O'Brien)
Interrogation (Clezio)

Bit 3
I still haven't seen the last Harry Potter movie, but I thought this piece by Sady Doyle was a pretty good comment on the whole series, both as a text and as a movie.

Bit 4
As of yesterday we are empty-nesters. (At least while the younger two are at school for the year.)

Bit 5
I found a Mavic Aksium hub to replace the one that broke about a year ago. What are the chances that someone is going to be selling a single rear hub made in the same year as the one that I broke, and sell it for $20? I don't know either, but thank you internets for your performance wonders!

Bit 6
Even if you want to play your best - even if you work hard at it - you may not.

Bit 7
I'm not a fan of beginnings, but what are you going to do?

Bit 8
I don't want to be 90 and lonely. This is as good a motivation to make young friends as any I can come up with ... even with the preposition at the end of that sentence.

Ride report
in:               12'C wind 15 ks S
out:             26'C wind 5 ks S



No comments: