07 November 2011

A few firsts

Cross season
This Sunday, at St. Malo, I rode in final race of my first complete (well nearly, I missed one race) cyclocross season. It will not be the last, as I cannot think of a Fall activity that could give me more hope and anticipation for the future. A big thanks to my bike for being there, to JS and ABES for a series generally well-placed jabs that finally shamed me into this marvelous thing, to Albert for being over 50 and still being great, to M and the big Gd for graciously giving me those Sundays, to M (again), G&J, & S&R for showing up at a bunch of the races to make it a family thing (now if you guys would just get some bikes and join me in the pain and pleasure!), to the MCA and all of the clubs (esp FGBC)  that organized the races, and to Dr. John Wiens for fixing my kneecap a few years back when there was some question about my riding future. Here's the final picture of the season (thanks again to JS).

Snow
There was a "dusting" of snow on the ground this morning, and the roads were lightly layered in a crisp icy pebble that didn't hold up once the sun came out. The winter commuting season begins.

Floor hockey
As a wind-up to our successful soccer season, the team engaged in an intense game (the first of the year for me) that was about as much fun in a gym as I've ever had! (When "last goal wins" was declared we played like maniacs for more than 10 crazy minutes before we won! Oh the glory!)

After 399 posts, I'm unlinked
I've unlinked this blog from my workplace website. I don't know about this first. It's kind of like heading out on my own. And it's getting free of something. The fact is that though it's good to write with limits that are imposed from outside oneself (in this case it was the wideness of the audience), but a recent complaint from a work-related audience member about my word choice has me thinking that the limit may be more strict than I'm prepared to accept. Anyway, don't expect a sudden unhinging and flapping in the wind. It'll take me some time to decide what this change will mean. 

400th post
This is it.

Ride report
in:         -3'C wind 25ks W
out:       A ride at 10:30 from Adam!

No comments: