25 March 2011

Heartbeats

My resting heart-rate today was 60 beats per minute. It usually is that, or less. I did the math, and this is what it would look like for me (give or take youth and exercise (higher), and sleep (lower)) if I have 2.5 billion beats (about 80 years):

60 beats/min
3,600 beats/hour
86,400 beats/day
31,536,000 beats/year
2,522,880,000 beats/80 years

The math for the (apparent) human average of 72 beats per minute, indicates that he's going to get, for the same 2.5 billion beats, 66 years. Or his heart will need to beat half a billion times more than mine, to get him to 80.

72 beats/min
4,320 beats/hour
103,680 beats/day
37,843,200 beats/year
3,027,456,000 beats/80 years

What if there is a limit to the number of beats your heart has in it? What if once you get to that number, say 2.5 billion times, it stops? Obviously there are many interactive factors that must be considered in a rigorous pursuit of the answer to the question, but it makes sense to me that most of our hearts have a "shelf-life." And it also makes sense that this life-span will not be measured so much in time or duration, as it will be in "paces." Consideration should be given to how often the heart has to beat strenuously, and also to if it never has to beat strenuously; if the pipes are clear and flow is easy, and to the length of the piping, and so on.

Suffice it to say, I'm interested in how quickly my body and mind are eating up my allotment. How well are my beats being spent?

Ride report
in: -7'C wind 20 ks NE
out: -4'C wind 15 ks NE