09 March 2011

Lenten entertainment

Well today's the beginning of the end of one thing or another if you're a "practicing" so and so sort of Christian. 40 days of deprivation. 40 days of discipline. 40 days to wait for your next indulgence.

After the failure of your New Years resolution, you need to take another run at it. Don't you? I've given up coffee, chocolate, coffee again, and so on. It's always only been a blight on the year. I've returned to coffee and chocolate with a vengeance, feeling smug and entitled.

It's that coming down off (or up out) of the high place that I'm taking issue with this year. No, this year I'm going to add a vice, rather than remove one. This year after these 40 days are over, I will rise up into the remainder of the year to be more pure, rather then re-descend into sloth and appetite. This year with the support and collaboration of a trusted colleague, and with the discipline of a self-flagellist, in reverse, I will, at every 10:30 pm, descend to the earth to drink a toast - to my colleague (my fellow descender), to you, to the Lord, and to the whole world.

Let my Lenten discipline be a daily reminder of the fruits of the earth. A daily rebellion against contrived asceticism. Let my Lent be that moral sacrifice that requires repentence when the season ends. Rather than a haughty sniff, I propose a healthy snort!

Join me, right here, every night at 10:30 pm! Confess your daily pleasure! To Lent! Cheers!

Ride report
in: -13'C wind NNE 10 ks
out: -8'C wind NNE 13 ks

No comments: