24 March 2011

Mountain dulcimer

What you won't find at an MCC thrift store: nothing.

What you will find at an MCC thrift store: all kinds of stuff that people have given away, of their own free will.

This 4-string mountain dulcimer is a recent example, found at the local MCC.

It's a reasonable lower-end (I think) instrument that's in great (nearly new) shape.

There are several ways to tune it, but I'm starting with D A D, with the 4th string working as a drone with the bottom D. It's not a sophisticated instrument, and it reminds me that many early instruments were designed from the unsophisticated player. Really, if you're spending your days out working on the fields, who has the time to become adept at playing a piano, much less carry one around. The dulcimer would be perfect sort of percussive, loud instrument to play for a dance.

We've turned musicianship into an art, and an artifact, rather than a simple, pleasure-loaded past-time. Now that's likely just me wishing I was a better guitar player, but this instrument will occupy me for a while (years?) yet.

What I'd like to understand is how does someone conceive of an instrument like this? It's simple enough when you look at one already made, and it makes sense and all, but the process from conception, through refinements, to a pattern that seems to work consistently - that's intriguing. If we weren't so busy typing and clicking and running around to banks and stores maybe we'd be less amazed by the ingenuity and creativity of it. As it is, I'm left with finding something like this at a second-hand store, taking it home, and wondering what it's worth. (Even while I'm playing it, I'm thinking, "What would someone pay for this?") As if making music doesn't make it priceless as it is.

Ride report
in: -8'C wind 20ks SE
out: -4'C wind 20ks ENE



No comments: