06 March 2011

Liminal

What's the deal with the word "liminal" these days?
It's a stripped down version "subliminal?"
What is subliminal is just beneath the threshold of consciousness or awareness.
What is liminal is that which lies just above the threshold of what is conscious; that which is in between.
At work there's a colleague who's used it at least once a week.
I just read it in a critical piece on the Shinto motifs in Miyazaki's Spirited Away.
I feel liminal.
Who doesn't?

What should such fellows as I do crawling
between earth and heaven? We are arrant knaves,
all; believe none of us. (Hamlet 3.1)

I learned on Saturday, from someone who knows more about old cars than I do, that by the late 20s they did use keys to lock vehicles and to turn them on, even if they didn't have electric starter motors to turn the engines over. So my complaint in my last post about the '27 Henney Hearse is to be disregarded. This fact does not erase for me, however, the sense that Get Low lacked narrative coherence and was at times anachronistic in its sensibilities. But I'm feeling liminal about that issue now. That is I am just far enough above the threshold of caring to mention it, but that's about it.

Further, it's 11:32 PM and I'm about to cross the threshold from weekend to week - the liminal hour. Here we go.

No comments: