26 May 2010

Goin to get fixed


I've ridden the winter on a single speed, varying the gear ratios depending on the variables (cold, snow, wind, road condition). I've been riding a 42 and 18 combination till now, but not fixed. As of today I'm going back to my 42 and 16 fixed gear set up. Coincidentally, Dan K also just set up his fixie tonight! I'm looking forward to this change. There's something pure about the fixed gear. Pure, and terrifying at times. You know you're a part of the machine. You know that if you stop, the machine stops too. Or, if it doesn't stop, you get ejected for stopping. But that's all a function of physics. An object in motion wants to stay in motion (or something like that).

And if you think you'd be wobbly on a fixie, imagine what you'd be like riding across this bridge?

Ride in        Temp 12'C Wind SSE 10 ks
Ride home  Temp 20'C Wind NNE 30 ks

No comments: