08 May 2010

Hey Dan!

You refer me to this video of JK aging over the course of eight years as what? A kind of joke about me turning forty-five on Monday? I know it was probably more high-minded than that. You probably thought I was into the wonder of aging and the idea of it. Which I am. And since Mallory's into photography ... well it seemed obvious that this was a great link. And ... it is. But I've gotta say that by the end, when JK's doing the moustache and goatee thing for an extended period of time, I'm just thinking ... Well, this is kind of precious. I mean it's one thing to make a fashion choice, and stick with it for a time, but this guy tries on a ridiculous number of glasses, and then suddenly goes into this "well now I'm going to be scruffy" phase. I just gotta call bull shit. I don't believe it's eight years. I don't think the YouTubes have been funneling crap into the internets for a long enough time for JK to have imagined it (eight years ago) and then stayed with it for that long. And he just doesn't age at all. So, despite the testimony (albeit a quiet one) of a million and a half viewers saying "Geez, this young man sure has done something interesting" I've got to say: Well, the idEa's okay, but I don't think he actually executed it. Of course, really, who of us does? Eh?

Then again, this could all be influenced by the reality that I just lost at two games of poker tonight, and I'm feeling a bit under the gun of the fates. Things always could go better I know, but some days ... well ... what's to be done? I cannot go on. I must go on. I can't.

Thanks Sammy.
Let's go on.

Ride in              Temp 4'C  Wind NNE 20 ks
Ride home        Temp 6'C  Wind N 40 ks

4 comments:

MalloryElizabeth said...

Perhaps this would've been a better link to send you...

http://www.c71123.com/daily_photo/

small locum plumber said...

Hey Mallory, Thanks for the new link. It does help. Do you have more details about this video of the project? How many images were in the video? It doesn't seem likely to me that there were 2920 images in that video, but I could be wrong. The average film runs about 28 - 30 frames per second - which is what the rate of images would have had to have been to get in one image per day for 8 years. I'm doubtful whether this video had that many frames in it. But I'm curious.

Sorry if I sounded snarky in the blog, it was just that I was doubting that it was what it said it was. But this new link helps a lot. I still think that the video does not include all of his images for eight years.

Have you thought of doing this kind of thing? I know of a theatre voice teacher who records herself reciting the same poem, once every year.

Thanks again!

MalloryElizabeth said...

Actually I've put quite the spin on the idea and have created a blog where I photograph everything I eat. This is all an attempt to start watching what I eat. I figure if others see it than it gives me more of a reason to think twice about what I'm putting into my body. Not a lot of my creative energy goes into it, however I will throw in some extra words of wisdom if anything comes to mind.

I haven't set any time line for this. I'll see where it goes, but it's obviously sparked some interest. Dan had approached me asking if I'm really doing it and that led me to showing him the video that inspired it all which in turn led to him finding it interesting enough to share with you. I'm not sure how Dan had heard about my blog but he thought it was a good idea.

He showed me yours and mentioned I would need to be invited to view the English Lit 40S Blog ...may I be invited?

Thanks Paul!

small locum plumber said...

Sure! I need your email address. You can email me at paulkrahn@gmail.com then I'll send you the invitation.

Paul