20 May 2010

It's getting hot out here

Always interesting to me that, during the winter, when it's -30C outside and about 20'C inside, we feel comfortable and warm, but when it's +30C outside and 20'C inside we think that it could be cooler (inside, I mean). I think temperature, and the way we feel about it, is relative, and quite dependent on the gradient (the difference) between the inside and outside temperature.

For instance, the 50' difference ("increase") between inside and outside in Winter, we're just so damn happy not to be out in the -30 that we think the +20'C is fantastic. You'll walk around naked inside thinking, "Wow, this is great!" Maybe you'll even stand right next to a window, still naked, and look out at the -30' deep freeze out there and think, "This is pretty cool (or warm) that I'm, like, just inches away from it, but I'm not cold at all." But when it's hot outside, like 30'C hot, and it's only a few degrees cooler (like 8 or 10') inside, you're thinking, still naked, that you can't get naked enough. You'd like it to be cooler inside, a lot cooler. Like "the mall" cooler.

Have you noticed how cold it can be in malls? Why is that? Because there's no soul there? Because they want you to come inside from the heat and feel grateful, so grateful that you'll buy a new pair of jeans and those shoes that you've been wanting for the last few weeks?

It's not cool in my School, and not just because it's a school. There is no air conditioning in the classrooms, and as the cinderblock walls heat up, well, it just gets hot in there. This means that it's not going to be easy to work in those classrooms. And this is the time of the year when the work matters more than it did earlier. Not a great combination.

What's to be done? I know. But that's not going to happen. Not anytime soon.

Ride in:         Temp 10'C Wind S 10 ks
Ride home:   Temp 27'C Wind S 20 ks

2 comments:

Renae Friesen said...

This is what bothers me.
The school building gets so freaking hot, there is no way to concentrate when you're sticking to every freaking thing.
How do they honestly expect us to work when sweat is rolling off of our faces, and the warmth is emanating from every window, door, vent, and EVERYTHING ELSE?!
The only escape is the cafeteria, and the rest of the west wing of the school. But the entire student body can't be there all day. We have to work in our classrooms.
The staff is keeping the majority of the lights off to make an attempt at keeping it cool. Or, cooler than it would be without the fluorescents adding to the temperature. There's fans in every classroom, blowing the humid, muggy, smelly air around, not helping unless you're sitting 7 inches from that fan.
But oh, what's this? They're getting air conditioning in the office end of the school? Oh. Well that's fair I guess. Yeah, keep the offices cool, so they can work.
Yes, I'm probably being quite unfair, and bitter about this. But I mean, I asked my father, (a wise man when it comes to this sort of thing...haha) "What would be more expensive, air conditioning the entire school, or that fancy new heating system we just had installed?" He answered, "Air conditioning would be way cheaper."
I'm sure my face showed confusion mixed with frustration.
We had a heating system that worked, so why'd we need a new one when we could've gotten A.C.?
Is it really all going to come down to money? How much it would cost to have air conditioning installed to only cool the school for September, May and June? Yes, three months of school is all we would need the air conditioning for. But how much does it cost to heat the school for November, December, January, and February? Probably more, correct?
Goodness me. That was a rant in a half. I could go on, but it's not my blog. Haha, I just don't understand how we can work, let alone concentrate when we're sitting there sweating. Not even doing any physical activity. Sitting in a classroom, at a desk, writing. Sweat is beading on our foreheads and soaking our shirts. Sounds like a great work environment. Oh wait, that was a joke.
See? I'm not so bitter. I can make jokes. =)

small locum plumber said...

You know Renae, I couldn't agree with you more. I hope that your Dad has some influence on the people with money (pwms?). School is for the kids right? Am I right? Hey? Am I? I think I am. REallY. I thinkss that's what school's about, eh?!