03 June 2010

Ditch digging

Some days a job comes upon you like a thief in the night. Or, in this case, like trench mouth. The pools on our yard, from the abundance of water from the skies over these past weeks forced me out onto the land, or rather, the swamp, with my trusty spade (the little one that Paul and Karl mocked - works for me). So I dug, I trenched, I hacked tree roots, and removed sod. From about the chicken coop to the ditch in front of the yard I excavated, and finally the water flowed. Here are a few pictures of my plowing. (Is my team ploughing? No, it was just me. No team this time, Mr. Housman.)




Of course, it was raining while I was digging, and when I finished, the rain stopped. Classic. Like washing the car. It probably won't rain tonight now either. My little trench dance will have warded off the rain spirits. All you farmers with wet fields out there, you can thank me if it doesn't rain for the next few days. For that matter, you can blame me if it does. We all need scapegoats. I'll take my turn.

Ride in        Temp 10'C Wind NW 10ks
Ride home  Temp 20'C Wind SE 20ks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dig more...we are camping this weekend and you have to fish!