04 June 2010

Gone fishin ...

So today I'm packin' up some gear (thanks Tobin!) to get ready to go on a fishin' trip with some boys tomorrow and Sunday. Sounds like a dream. Sounds like good times. Sounds like what it sounds like. As a man who generally hasn't found fishin' to be the most heart-thumpin' adrenalin-pumpin' activity, this weekend will test my zen practice. Ommmm. I'm gettin' ready. Mentally I mean. If I can just manage the sound and smell of a powerboat, I think I'll be okay.

When we (the family) head out for the lake we pack our gear and food into backpacks (big ones) and we tie our canoes onto the roof of the vehicle. After we drive, we paddle the canoes, hoist and portage the packs, pitch and sleep in tents, and enjoy the fatigue that comes after some good hard physical work. It's great to take your mind off of the buzz and gadgets of life and focus on the work of travel using your own body and brain as the primary source of energy and direction for the journey. But this coming weekend I will try to engage the wilderness with more, shall we say, technologized propulsion and direction-finding. As I say, I'm workin' on my zen ... Ommmm.

Ride in        Temp 10'C Wind SE 10 ks
Ride home  Temp 21'C Wind WNW 25 ks

5 comments:

Renae Friesen said...

I hope you have a great time. Catch a 31" jack. =P

art loft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
small locum plumber said...

Actually I hope to catch a 33 inch anthony =D (I didn't watch The Road).
I got your stuff.

small locum plumber said...

Ya might haveta come home again to get it!

ironyogi said...

Well now that I fixed my bike, bought tubes and a patch kit, I may be more likely to make it home!