27 June 2010

Various festivities

Today was a day for goodbyes and beginnings. At AMC we said goodbye to Gord & Pam and the kids after 12 good years. At Neubergthal we opened a Mennonite handmade heritage furniture show, entitled Himmelbleiw ("heavenly blue") in the Friesen Housebarn. At this well-attended event (around 150) some knowledgeable people (Ron & Sandi Meilitz)  spoke, a few of us brommelled and sang the Brommtopp Leid, and Paul Bergman sang. Then we toured the exhibit, bought the catalogue (which I designed), and went over to the Community Centre for faspa. There's nothing like Sunday faspa!

The catalogue cover

After said activities, we sat together on the back balcony with good friends Nathan and Toni and caught up. Then we bugged Bekah for fries and ice cream (Some people never grow up; Mennonites can't dance, because they think sex is icky; Toni has a theory for everything; Nathan can never decide; Margruite can learn, but she can't teach; Paul has theories too, but he's mostly wrong). And thus ends a good weekend.


June 26, 2010

After a morning of learning to brommel, and the looming threat of rain, I decided a bike ride was in order. By 12:10 I was in the saddle heading East into a 20 k SSE wind. My intention was to head to Emerson, tool around town and return from whence I came - about a 50 k ride. But when I got to Emerson, well, I just felt good. So I followed Prov Road 218, which curves around past the golf course, and then followed PR 200 through a pleasant variant of the prairie farmland form (whatever that means - probably simply that a change is as good as a rest), and up toward Dominion City. Once I was headed North, with wind, it was easier to keep on keeping on, then to turn around and return, so that is what happened. By the time I'd passed through D.C. and was just outside of Ginew (60ish ks), I knew that I should have a) brought some food along, or b) brought some cash to buy food. Once I got to Letellier, I knew I should have brought food, because I was heading into a wind that was fully from the South, and had increased a bit. Well you know how it is, you put your head down, pick your ass up, and pedal harder. When I got home (2 hrs & 40 mins) I'd managed to average 30 k/h for the 80 ks of the ride and, although I was unnecessarily bagged because of my lack of food, felt really good about this route. I'll do it again.

RJ's Birthday
After some food and recovery Margruite and I headed off for RJ's 65th birthday party. A great time of music and food for a great man! Joe, you are my light of darkness!  

No comments: